O' Sweet Nectar!
What would life be without the simple pleasure of beer?
It's fascinating to see it marketed in 1954 (McCall's magazine) without the remotest whiff of T & A, slacker schlubs and/or "attractive" young douchebags in a bar/club.
Merely amiable, relaxing time spent with loved ones...

And I still am trying to construct a flowchart in my mind as to how PBR got from bridge-playing suburban housefraus to smoky blue-collar VFW posts to crass rockabilly scenester dudes to finally, 21st century slaves to irony. . I'm sure tasting like ass didn't help.

Cheers!
It's fascinating to see it marketed in 1954 (McCall's magazine) without the remotest whiff of T & A, slacker schlubs and/or "attractive" young douchebags in a bar/club.
Merely amiable, relaxing time spent with loved ones...
And I still am trying to construct a flowchart in my mind as to how PBR got from bridge-playing suburban housefraus to smoky blue-collar VFW posts to crass rockabilly scenester dudes to finally, 21st century slaves to irony. . I'm sure tasting like ass didn't help.
Cheers!
Here! Here! I second that! The ad's 'nowaday's' boast that you will become a football player if you drink, oh and get the "lady of the dimly lit rooms" too! What a bargain!
ReplyDeleteLoL! Love your break down of the digression in advertising.
ReplyDeleteI love vintage ads. I'd frame these!
ReplyDeleteFourthGradeNothing.com
Ah! My first comments ever! Thanks, guys! :)
ReplyDeleteThe best ads in this McCall's (and it's the big size, like Life) are the colorful refrigerator ones.
I might try to get a couple up.