Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White....
Been half-assedly, very periodically and unfocusedly trying to learn this one to perform for a couple years now. I just have become such a slacker as far as goal-setting anymore.
But it's such a marvelous song. And because Perez Prado's famous trumpet-driven instrumental version with that drawn-out sliding note(hit Billboard #1 in 1955) has long since become the hands-down most popular version, few people have ever heard the lyrics sung.
The melody is really lovely.
Many people have done it, from Pat Boone to Xavier Cugat to Liberace to Chet Atkins and lots more. But my favorite version is Georgia Gibbs'. She got to it a few years before before SeƱor Prado, actually! (1951/52...depending on source)
If I could only work out and memorize both a bass part and melodic solo on the cello. I keep getting frustrated and quitting. The vocals are really fun. If I could only just front a band and sing it- that would be much simpler. I've not got the personality for band frontage, however. I s'pose I like to hide behind a cello, truth be known.
This and several more gems that I've always wanted to get under control are just a few more of the things I totally meant to do on the Sabbatical. I've got one day left tomorrow. Can I squeeze it in?
Cha cha cha!
But it's such a marvelous song. And because Perez Prado's famous trumpet-driven instrumental version with that drawn-out sliding note(hit Billboard #1 in 1955) has long since become the hands-down most popular version, few people have ever heard the lyrics sung.
The melody is really lovely.
Many people have done it, from Pat Boone to Xavier Cugat to Liberace to Chet Atkins and lots more. But my favorite version is Georgia Gibbs'. She got to it a few years before before SeƱor Prado, actually! (1951/52...depending on source)
If I could only work out and memorize both a bass part and melodic solo on the cello. I keep getting frustrated and quitting. The vocals are really fun. If I could only just front a band and sing it- that would be much simpler. I've not got the personality for band frontage, however. I s'pose I like to hide behind a cello, truth be known.
This and several more gems that I've always wanted to get under control are just a few more of the things I totally meant to do on the Sabbatical. I've got one day left tomorrow. Can I squeeze it in?
Cha cha cha!
Oh I love this. I won't lie, I normally don't listen to this genre of music, but do not dislike it. I just never think of it. I wish someone could make me a mixed tape of, I hate to say it, I'm not even sure what these time period tunes are called? Big band? 40s? Whatever it is, I love it.
ReplyDeleteNot the personality to perform with a band?
ReplyDeleteWhy this is a great chance to change. I think dancing is a very good way to become self-confident and learn to present yourself.
Well, IF one feels like dancing ... if it's no fun, it won't help.
Hey, Ally...I would totally burn you a mix CD or even two. Love to share...and have so much music. Do you have any idea of what exactly you do like, as far as 40s stuff?
ReplyDeleteHey, Clarissa...nice blog you have!
I've performed in bands a whole lot...even have no problem singing...but my demeanor is sort of deadpan and quiet and mysterious. I think you have to be pretty confident or able to fake it well to do the stage banter and off-stage hobnobbing that a lead singer does. I prefer to sit behind a cello and surprise people when I sing a number here and there.
And I'm a lousy dancer!
Believe it or not: You made a pretty precise description of my demeanor years ago. Then I started to make the "stage banter" and people wondered why I changed, as soon as I left the stage for a break: I was quiet, deadpan and didn't know what to talk about.
ReplyDeleteI remember my parents dancing on my grandparents wedding anniversary : two 'wet towels' (hardly) moving deadpan on the dance floor - I just decided not to be like the rest of my family. Actually it was Ginger Rogers who rescued me. She made me crazy about dancing and I will always love her because of this.
I can say that people don't dare to hurt me today. Years ago I was tough inside, but it didn't show. Now I look even tougher than I am.* And I always like challenges, disrespectful people, to show 'em: "Oh no, not with me my friend!"
Today I love my father more than ever, but I'm totally different from him and my brother. - But I must admit, it was too late to become a really great dancer. Great dancing talents have quick, well coordinated parents and get the right influence very early.
______________________
* I like Joan Blondell very much too: She plays often a sensitive type, which convinces as a tough girl. And her demeanor is absolutely swell! Very, very convincing.